Thursday, January 3, 2008

Life is a whirlwind when you're in Africa...and then some.

Hello again everyone! I know it has been a long time since i have last posted here (like 6 weeks I think?!) but with swearing in and site delivery and finally getting here and starting to get situated it has been really hard to get to a computer and not to mention the fact that the internet in my town has been broken for the last 2 weeks. Well anyway I'm just lucky that I am in Africa and have internet. So no onto what my life has been like for the past 5 or 6 weeks...

I think I last posted before Model School...well itr was a two week teaching experiment (or thats what I called it, bc thats what it seemed to be like) in which they put all of the freshly speaking portuguese speakers in front of classes of 20 students and had us teach to the students. I have to say that even though it was all in portuguese it was not too hard. Yeah sure the lesson plans took 10x longer than any of the english teachers but it was still a good time. My students liked me or so i heard from my collegues (bc most of the students were our host brothers and sisters) and it was just fun. I think it may be in part due to me being a Leo but I liked to be up in front of them and teachng them. It was a challenge too so i think that had a lot to do with it as well. All in all it was a good experience...i dont think it prepared me for my real job but rather just ntroduced me to what it could be like. Nonetheless I'm pretty stoked for my job to start in a month.
In the midst of Escola Modela was Thanksgiving. The PC basically screwed us this year and told us that unless we were going to plan and execute everything then it wasnt going to happen. Usually they buy everything for the dinner and that was even cut. But you dont give PCT's (now PCV's) an ultamatum like that one. We took the bull by its horns and had ourselves a damn good Mozambican Thanksgiving. We bought two turkeys and killed, defeathered, and gutted them and cooked them: one in stew and the other in the traditional oven. We had most of all the traditional staples of a US Thanksgiving feast as well. We had mashed potatoes, yams, deviled eggs, apple pies and crisps, cookies, browniws, squash, green beans, and even cranberry sauce...made from crasins (bc cranberries dont exist in Moz). For such a sad day to be away from home it wasnt all too sad. Mainly because eveyone was there and just having a good time cooking and having a few local beers.
About a week later was what all of us had been waiting for since we started training...SWEARING-IN!! Sadly we came in as a group of 69 of us and left with 65...4 ET'd, 1 transferred, and we got a transfer from another country! The ceremony took place at the ambassadors house in Maputo...it was an awful and rainy day. Everyone took care too look their best in Moz and the torrential downpours that followed just rined everyones magnificent look. Damn it! So we got to the ceremony and took the oath and after a few speakers we were official Peace Corps Volunteers (PCV's). Everyone from PC Moz was there including officials from teh government, the US Ambassador, and the former Peace Corps Worldwide Director, Gaddi Vasquez. That was such an amazing surprise to hve him there...it made it special x 100. Funny thing is that while walking on the road in our training town of Namaacha to get a chapa to Maputo Gaddi Vasquez stopped on the road and got out and talked to us. How in the hell does something like that happen?! It was fucking awesome... his response after was "I thought you were in the Peace Corps." Amazing. Something I will never forget. PS - I did have a mohawk for the ceremony...all the dudes did...well most.
So a day after we were sworn-in we were delivered to site. With 64 of us to get to every stretch of Mozambique it wasa clusterfuck of a mess but all in all I think they di an awesome job. I left my home in Namaacha at 5 am and got to my site at 3:30 pm. I was the second to last of 7 to be dropped off in my group. It was long and tiring as well as exciting and really sad. I really wanted to get to a place where i knew it woul;d be my home but i didbnt want to leave everyone! Well lets just say that after a day I had my first break down. I have since then bounced back and am doing much much better. It's just the shock at first to know that you know absolutely no one but this is your home and not to mention the fact that you are the different one and everyone knows it just by lookign at you for 0.001 seconds.
My first two weeks here, at site, were a real rollercoaster of just about everytuing. The dog that I took in from the volunteer before me killed a goat so I had to deal with all of that my 3rd day here....that is what set me over the damn edge. All my neighbors wanted to kill her and the dogs she ran around with. They basically gave me a deadline before they were going to kill her. I found 2 voluteers to take her...now I just have to get her to them. lol. That was probably the worst thing that happened to me by far so far. I did go to work for a week to grade tests and meet all of my counterparts. That was intreresting. I also met a lot of my neighbors and people in the makret. Made my first friend and met up with one of the other volunteers in my town from MOZ 11...Alyssa from Amityville, NY. Two people from NYS in the same small African town...what a trip.
So those two weeks went by and along came the holidays. We planned a vacation to the Praia do Tofo on the Indian Ocean in Inhambane Province. What was only supposed to be 5 days ended up being 10 and itw as one of the best vacations i have ever been on. We left for a PCV's birthday party in Cumbana and spent the night there with lik 12 PCV's and one of the PCV's girlfriend that was visiting. It only took us 4 hours to hitch a ride from a nice Swazi-man on his was to Vilankulo. The day after we headed to Tofo Beach, didnt take long at all, only like an hour. We got to the hostel we were staying at...fuck that it was more of a resort than a hostel. It's called Fatima's Nest and has dorms, private bungalows, camping, and tents with beds in them. Its literally on the ocean, I could hear the waves at night when I was sleeping. They had cabanas with hammocks in them where you could chill all day under and sleep under at nigth if you wanted to. I slept in one my last night there.

At first it was like 15 PCV's which after Christmas dwindled to like 9. It was nice having everyone there but it was even nicer being in a smaller group. A few days after Christmas 4 more left and one came so it was better yet. What was awesome about this trip was the amount of people there and how many countries were represented by people staying there and that I met. Here's some of the countries that had citizens there and thatw ere crazy fun: USA, Canada, Brazil, South Africa, France, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, England, Belgium, and Egypt. It was fucking awesome. We celebrated New Years at Tofo as well and it was redonk fun. I have never had such a great meal here in Moz until that day. We cooked a fish called "dacuba"...? I think its wrong but I know its starts with a D. I am not someone that likes fish but it was so good. Loved it, shut up! Other than the group I came with I made a small group of friends from South Africa. Lo, another PCV, was enamored by one of them and we became a happy little family (Myself, Lo, Natalie, Carl, Al, Floyd, and Marie) for our time there. It was awesome because now we have plans to go to Joburg and Cape Town and visit! So excited to go and visit in a few months! Cheers guys and thanks for making it what it was...a kick ass shit show.

I should let all of you know that if you want to send me anything use this address from now on:
Jonathan Bates
CP 270
Xai-Xai
Mozambique

I got one closer to me by like 3 hours. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.


I also want to take some time to shoot some thanks to everyone that has been awesome at sending me things and contacting me in any form. I really really really appreciate it all and every buit of it helps even if it is just a wall post on facebook. THANKS GUYS, I LOVE YOU ALL. I really do have some of the best friends ever. I really do love you all. Also, btw I'm getting my computer soon so I should be able to communicate for frequently, which will be awesome. Also, I want to apologize to all the people in the 315 who I have been harassing...its free for me to call 315 area codes for soem reason so I am taking full advatage of it. If you're getting sick of me just let me know! I dont know how you could though...haha. jk.

Yeah so now I'm just waiting for school to start in a month and get my hopuse ready as much as i can before all hell breaks loose there. I have a lot i want to do to my house but it should be fu getting everything and completng the jobs.

OK I just had to add this funny thing that happened today: I threw away a condom bc it was covered in shampoo from my trip and not but an hour later did I see a small neighbor child of mine blowing up what appeared to be a balloon...well yeah it was that condom. what the hell?! it was so hilarious.

OK and one last update on my feelings on being here... its still hard especially after an amazing vacation where I had running water and my friends but its getting better everyday. So tomorrow I leave for Maputo for the weekend to go get my mail and see Felipe. Fun!
PICS OF MY HOUSE ABOVE
Until next time,

Jon








No comments: