Thursday, February 5, 2009

Back in Action

So, my first post back at the helm of this magnificent boat of adventure! I am pleased to say that my return back “home” was smooth, easy and very very comfortable – made so by the very plush and regal hotel I stayed at in South Africa (a huge thank you to the rents on that one!!). After arriving back in Mozambique without one of my pieces of luggage that was lost in the array of flight transfers from Albany to Johannesburg (there was one, by the way), I got home just a mere 4 hours later. In Mozambican terms of time, it was amazing. I was thankful that everything on the Mozambican end of things was as smooth as “buttahhh.”
So now I'm in Mozambique. Like I said I went back to Chibuto to see what the damage was to my house... and again, lucky for me there was none! I can't tell you hope much of a relief it was to get back to my house and find that all the doors and windows were unbroken and still intact. Though, I can't say as much for my potted plants; as they suffered hard at the hands of the malicious little gangs of children that roam my “suburban” neighborhood. All in all, life was good when I arrived back home. I was in Chibuto for about three full days when I was summoned back down to Maputo for my groups (Moz 12, for all you new readers) Mis-Service Conference. Basically it's a week of HIV/AIDS inspired seminars and sessions intermixed with physicals and dental appointments. What a week it was! I'll just say two things: and air conditioned environment and a buffet three times a day...! Seriously, what could be better than that?! We were all in climate controlled food comas by the first night. It was glorious.
In addition to the delectable cornucopias of food that were littered about the hotel, it was also a time to rekindle and reshape old friendships from training. It was a great opportunity to see everyone again and furthermore, to see how much everyone has changed in the last year. It really is amazing how a single year and the experiences experienced within that year can have such a dramatic affect upon people. It was great to see some with an increased air of self-confidence, some wisened by the hand of time, and some just a little bit less uptight and more willing to “go with the flow.” It is an exciting prospect indeed to think what this next year has in store for us all.
While my part of the conference ended, the part for the health volunteers continued on with seminars on perma-culture training. Since I was not ready to go home, I willingly succumbed to the requests of friends to crash with them for the remaining two nights despite me not attending the seminars and instead hanging out by the pool with another person in the same situation. After extending my vacation/conference for two days, it was just another day before now President Barack Obama was to be sworn in as our 44th President. With this monumental cornerstone in American history hanging in the very hear future, it was mutually decided by all that we would stay for the inauguration celebration at the US Embassy's public affairs office. We did and it was absolutely amazing! It was such a great experience to be abroad yet celebrating something so important to America. After the Embassy's soirée, we headed to an after party in honor of our new President. It was a big celebration with hoards of people, live Mozambican music, and people on stilts! It was a great celebration indeed!
The next day I headed back to Chibuto with the rest of the PCVs that extended their stay. The very next day I reported to the secondary school for work where we toyed with the new class schedule for the 2009 school year. After a lot of waiting and deliberation over who will teach what and when, the schedules were made. I wound up with a majority of my classes being of the 8th grade and one class of 9th grade. Now I wont go so far to say that I am pleased with this (as I was told I would be teaching 10th grade) but as I always say “you win some and you lose some.” Clearly this was one of those times I lost.
Now I am getting my footing back and swinging right back into the normal rhythm of Peace Corps Mozambique life. Every weekday I go to work and give class then I go home and hang out with the neighbors and/or a good book. When the weekend comes it’s usually time to head to the beach and have a little fun in the sun. At this point I can’t say that life is anything but great.

Jon

ps – I have a new address which isn’t terribly different than what it was. From now on, please use the following address for me:

Jonathan Bates
CP 85
Xai Xai
Mozambique

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Can you translate this weblog for me? Is this polish?
[url=http://www.seocean.pl]pozycjonowanie stron www[/url]
PS. Sorry for being a little off topic...

Anonymous said...

xanax antidepressant effects from xanax - drug test for xanax how long

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online where can i buy valium online - side effects of diazepam

Anonymous said...

ambien sleep medication generic ambien buy - ambien qualitest

Anonymous said...

valium generic valium side effects dogs - valium knights lyrics

Anonymous said...

diazepam for dogs cheap diazepam to buy - diazepam drug

Anonymous said...

zolpidem online buy zolpidem online cheap - zolpidem weight gain

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium side effects on cats - many valium 5mg get high

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online overnight canadian pharmacy xanax no prescription needed - xanax effects alcohol

Anonymous said...

ativan sale 1mg ativan high dose - ativan dose alcohol withdrawal

Anonymous said...

buy soma online carisoprodol overdose how much - buy real somatropin

Anonymous said...

soma online carisoprodol 350 mg controlled substance - how to buy soma

Anonymous said...

buy valium online without prescription generic form of valium - buy real roche valium

Anonymous said...

buy ambien order ambien cr canada - cheap ambien online no prescription

Anonymous said...

buy somas soma drug type - drug test soma carisoprodol

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I was searching for, what a stuff! existing here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web page.
My webpage > santa monica apartment